BUSM 3007 Destination Management
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 101270
Coordinator Felicity Picken Opens in new window
Description Destination Management provides students with a fundamental understanding of the concepts in destination management. This includes coordination of the destination in terms of the tourism industry's sectors, their relationship with each other and the challenges they face. An appreciation of the importance of a destination's unique cultural, natural and economic attributes is developed from the viewpoint of the visitor and industry representatives. The implications of organising urban spaces for the visitor experience and its influence on sustainability and competitiveness are explored.
School Social Sciences
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
- Analyse structure, roles and interrelationships of Destination Management Organisations (DMO) at various levels of operation.
- Evaluate factors influencing destination management and marketing.
- Undertake a destination resource analysis (Audit).
- Evaluate destination marketing strategies based upon destination management objectives.
- Critique destination management implementation.
- Identify and describe opportunities, challenges and constraints affecting DMOs in formulating strategies.
Coordination structures and principle players in the coordination of destination management (Government, Industry, NGO and Community).
Strategic and sustainable destination management (policy, practices and issues).
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Critical Review: Industry Analysis||800 words||25||N||Individual|
|Practical: Destination Audit||500 words||30||N||Group|
|Report: Destination Sustainability and Competitiveness Report||2,000 words||45||N||Individual|
2022 Semester 1
Parramatta - Victoria Rd
Subject Contact Felicity Picken Opens in new window
Attendance Requirements 80% attendance rate is imposed in all core subjects’ due to the nature of class activities that are aligned with subject assessments.