ENGR 2018 Professional Practice for Engineer Associates (WSTC AssocD)
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 700118
Coordinator Robert Paluzzano Opens in new window
Description This unit will provide the knowledge and skills to enable students to support the achievement of organisational goals through applying knowledge of environment and internal culture. The unit evaluates planning processes and goal setting to achieve superior performance and compares alternative approaches to motivation of work team members. Students will consider types of managerial communications and their associated communications channels in achieving best professional practice.
School Eng, Design & Built Env
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 2 subject
Pre-requisite(s) ENGR 2009
Restrictions Students must be enrolled at Western Sydney University, The College in 7022 Associate Degree in Engineering.
- Effectively build, motivate and manage project team.
- Apply managerial communication skills and establish effective communication channels to achieve best professional practice.
- Make effective oral, written and visual communications.
- Describe and promote sustainable engineering.
- Manage occupational health and safety.
The detailed contents are described as following
1. The engineering method
2. Learning to be an engineer
3. Managing occupational health and safety
4. Understanding communication
5. Enabling skills for engineers
6. Information skills
7. Problem-solving tools
8. Sustainable engineering
9. Ethics in engineering
10. Managing engineering projects
11. Developing risk management plan, knowledge management plan and quality plan
12. Communicating information
13. Planning your career
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Online Quizzes 10 weekly quizzes each worth 3%||30 minutes each||30||N||Individual|
|Final Exam – Open Book||2 hours||40||N||Individual|
- Dowling, D., Carew, A. and Hadgraft, R. (2010). Engineering Your Future: An Australasian Guide. John Wiley & Sons Australia, Ltd.
- Goetsch, D. L. (2011). Occupational Safety and Health for Technologists, Engineers, and Managers. Upper Saddle River, N.J.: Prentice Hall.
2022 Quarter 1
Nirimba Education Precinct
Subject Contact Robert Paluzzano Opens in new window
Attendance Requirements 80% attendance rate is imposed in all core subjects’ due to the nature of class activities that are aligned with subject assessments.