BUSM 2021 Health Services Management (WSTC)
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 700068
Coordinator Margaret Smith Opens in new window
Description The health workplace is a complex and sophisticated environment that can be understood in many different ways and mean different things to different members of an organisation. Assumptions about organisational structure and action are based on conceptualisations and beliefs about the nature and goals of an organisation. This unit aims to develop an understanding of organisational theory and its application to management practice and organisational analysis in the health arena.
School Health Sciences
Discipline Public and Health Care Administration
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 2 subject
Equivalent Subjects BUSM 2020 - Health Services Management
Restrictions Students must be enrolled at Western Sydney University The College and have completed the first semester of their Diploma, as this is a Level 2 subject.
- Develop an understanding of the fundamentals of organisations, organisational design and culture within health care services.
- Analyse the strategic planning, strategic management, performance management and decision-making processes of the health system.
- Explore the fundamentals of leading, including an examination of leading through communication, group dynamics and teamwork in health care.
- Explore and reflect on their values and understanding about the way work is organised.
- Explore the implications of varying skill levels on organisational structure and action within health services.
- Distinguish between the different levels and types of control affecting health care organisations.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of risk management and WHS.
- Understand the significance of management to the processes that ensure quality outcomes for both patients and staff in health services.
2. Strategic management and strategic planning in health care.
3. Health managers and organisations.
4. Job design in health care.
5. Decision making strategies in health care.
6. Performance management in health care.
7. Fundamentals of leadership in health care.
8. Quality management in health.
9. Control strategies within health care organisations.
10. Introduction to risk management and WHS.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Tutorial papers 1500 words||20||N||Individual|
|Assignment (1500 words) and ten minute presentation||35||N||Individual|
|Major paper (2000 words) and presentation (ten minutes)||45||N||Individual|