MEDI 7037 Surgical Pathology 6
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 401234
Coordinator Tristan Rutland Opens in new window
Description In 2022 this unit replaced by unit 401479 - Surgical Pathology of the Female Genital Tract. This unit will revise the diagnostic entities in gynaecological pathology that were introduced in Surgical Pathology IV. The first self-directed online learning module is composed of digitalized images and practical notes on the diagnostic approach to important pathological entities of gynaecological pathology. A second online module will revise the sub-specialities covered in Surgical Pathology I through V. Students will be required to complete a literature review of contemporary and emerging developments in a relevant pathological entity. This unit is designed to revise all areas of surgical pathology within the Master of Pathology as well as promote engagement with professional development activities relevant to a career as a pathologist.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Restrictions Students must be enrolled in 4750 Masters of Medicine (Pathology).
A basic undergraduate level knowledge in Pathology and microscopy skills is expected, as the candidates will have a MBBS or equivalent pre-requisite degree.
- Examine and interpret advanced diagnostic entities in surgical pathology in the subspecialty of gynaecological pathology
- Identify and apply appropriate ancillary techniques in the diagnosis and treatment of conditions within all subspecialties of surgical pathology
- Identify common and uncommon disease entities in surgical pathology based on their histological features
- Report pathological findings using written and oral communication skills to patients, other health professional and related stakeholders
- Engage in professional development activities related to anatomical pathology
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Case Study||20 cases ~300-500 words each||S/U||Y||Individual|
|Literature Review||2500 word limit||50||Y||Individual|
|Report||10 cases ~300-500 words each||50||Y||Individual|
- Crum C.P., Nucci M.R., Lee K.R. Diagnostic Gynecologic and Obstetric Pathology (2nd Ed.). Elsevier: Philadelphia 2011.