NURS 3003 Clinical Leadership and Professional Relationships
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 401213
Coordinator Leone Pike Opens in new window
Description The subject explores fundamental concepts and issues related to leadership in nursing and midwifery. The subject focuses on exploration of contemporary innovative approaches to leadership that may contribute to nursing and midwifery standards, person and woman centred practice, critical reflection and critical thinking in dynamic healthcare contexts.
School Nursing & Midwifery
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 1 10cp
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Equivalent Subjects NURS 3019 Leadership in Graduate Practice NURS 3021 Leadership in Nursing and Midwifery
Restrictions Students must be enrolled in 4691 Bachelor of Nursing, 4692 Bachelor of Nursing (Graduate Entry) or 4684 Bachelor of Midwifery or 4780 Bachelor of Nursing - WSU Online. Students must be enrolled in 4780 to enrol in WSU Online Campus subjects.
Professional communication, roles and responsibilities of the Registered Nurse and the Midwife, ethical and legal frameworks for practice, behavioural and social sciences, critical frameworks.
- Critique contemporary clinical leadership approaches in nursing and midwifery practice.
- Differentiate between leadership and management in relation to clinical nursing or midwifery practice.
- Appraise facilitators and barriers to effective clinical leadership in the provision of optimal person and woman-centred care at different levels of experience in nursing and midwifery practice.
- Evaluate strategies for change and innovation processes in contemporary primary healthcare contexts.
- Apply strategies required for effective building, motivating and leading of collaborative healthcare teams in clinical practice.
2. Leading and enhancing person and women-centred care
3. Emotional and spiritual intelligence and leadership
4. Reflection, self-assessment, feedback and critical thinking in relation to leadership
5. Participation, delegation, advocacy and empowerment for leaders in the health care sector
6. Leaders as change agents
7. Leading in a changing environment
8. Building, motivating and leading collaborative teams
9. Communication, conflict resolution and negotiation
10. Quality improvement methodologies
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Participation activities: 6 tasks, best 4 marks included in final marks||30 minutes each activity||20||N||Individual|
|Essay: Critical reflection Scenario-Based Essay||1,500 words||50||N||Individual|
|Presentation: Group Work (Team Presentation)||15 minutes||30||N||Group|