LAWS 7038 Visa Cancellation and Review
Credit Points 20
Legacy Code 201029
Coordinator Douglas Mcdonald-Norman Opens in new window
Description This unit addresses the balance of visas in the Australian immigration system, including those related to bringing family to Australia, former resident and resident return visas, humanitarian program (onshore and offshore), bridging visas and other miscellaneous visas (Act-based visas and resolution of status visas). This unit also addresses the regime for review of immigration decisions, including informal review, merits review and judicial review. This unit provides an overview of ministerial intervention and cancellation powers under Australian immigration law. This unit also provides a brief overview of Australian citizenship laws.
Discipline Law, Not Elsewhere Classified.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 20cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Co-requisite(s) LAWS 7004
Incompatible Subjects LAWS 7034 - Visa Compliance Cancellation and Review 1 LAWS 7005 - Australia’s Visa System 3 Cancellation and Review
Students must be enrolled in 2819 Graduate Diploma in Australian Migration Law, 2824 Master of Laws or 2810 Master of Laws (International Governance).
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Analyse the requirements, visa conditions and application procedures for key visa classes, including bringing family to Australia, resident return, humanitarian program, bridging visas and other miscellaneous Australian visas.
- Assess the requirements and procedures relating to visa cancellations, refusals, compliance and other sanctions with migration law in Australia.
- Analyse ethical and appropriate review pathways of an immigration decision, including informal review, merits review, judicial review and ministerial intervention.
- Undertake appropriate research to prepare submissions, and effectively advocate for clients.
- Execute communication strategies with the principal stakeholders, including clients and government to address migration law issues.
- Critically apply ethical principles, the Code of Conduct and comply with relevant legislation required of a migration agent.
- Use critical reflection and analytical skills to determine creative, innovative and authentic solutions to real-life and complex migration issues and problems.
Former Resident and Resident Return Visas
Other Miscellaneous Visas
Informal Review and Merits Review
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Quiz||30 mins each||5||Y||Individual|
|Case Study||1,000 words||15||N||Individual|
|Critical Review||3,500 words||30||N||Individual|
|Professional Task||1,000 words||15||N||Individual|
|Final Exam||2,000 words||35||N||Individual|
Subject Contact Marial Lewis Opens in new window
Subject Contact Nasima Tajik Opens in new window