MECH 7008 Mechatronic System Design
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 300600
Coordinator Richard Yang Opens in new window
Description This unit will advance the skills of mechanics, mechanical systems and automation in the practice of engineering design as applied to mechatronic devices and systems. The ability to perform detailed design analysis of machine elements as well as control systems as applicable to manufacturing and process machinery is the intended outcome of undertaking this unit and project-based tasks will form part of the learning process and team work experience.
School Eng, Design & Built Env
Discipline Mechanical and Industrial Engineering and Technology, Not Elsewhere Classified.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Incompatible Subjects LGYA 6106 - Servo Systems Design (PG) LGYA 5832 - Mechatronic System Design
Students must be enrolled in a postgraduate program
Equivalent Bachelor of Engineering degree.
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Design machine elements, such as shafts, bearings, brake, gears & clutches.
- Design of a mechatronic system.
- Design and analyse fluid power servo systems
- Compare available equipment and select suitable components for the designed system.
- Design an integrated mechatronic system in a team project-based environment
Shaft, bearing and gear analysis and design.
Belt drives, shaft, clutches, brakes, coupling and motor systems.
Pneumatic and hydraulic equipment and circuits.
Feedback loops and equipment selection.
Project based design of an integrated mechanical system including selection of suitable components.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Tutorial Assignments X 4||4 X Tutorial Assignments (7.5% each)||30||N||Individual|
|Computer Lab Workbooks X 4||4 X Lab Workbooks (5% each) Finish lab workbooks within 2 hour practical sessions||20||N||Individual|
|Design Project: Report and Presentation||3,000 words (Report 25%) and 15 minutes (Presentation 5%)||30||Y||Group|
|Quizzes X 2||2 X Quizzes (10% each) 1 hour each||20||N||Individual|
- Boundy, AW 2012, Engineering drawing, 8th edn, McGraw-Hill, Sydney, N.S.W.
- Mott, RL, Vavrek, EM & Wang, J 2018, Machine elements in mechanical design, 6th edn, Pearson/Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, N.J
Parramatta City - Macquarie St
Subject Contact Richard Yang Opens in new window