INFO 6002 Postgraduate Capstone Project
Description This capstone subject organises students in groups to work on industry-based projects. It provides students with opportunities to gain substantial practice in the development of information systems or software projects including requirements analysis, data gathering and synthesising, system design, implementation, data processing and testing, in a real-world context. Suitable projects are featured with complex computing problems and are sourced from external organisations or within the university. Students work in groups. Each group is guided by an academic supervisor or an industry mentor to achieve the goals set by a client who provides the project. The subject aims to develop students’ project management skills, effective teamwork, analytical problem-solving, computational and big data thinking, as well as valuable experience in self-directed learning and reflective practice within a professional setting.
School Computer, Data & Math Sciences
Student Contribution Band
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 6 subject
Students must be enrolled in a postgraduate program and have successfully completed at least 60 credit points of postgraduate subjects.
Software development methodologies; Software analysis and design modelling tools and techniques; Programming languages; Implementing databases management systems; Software construction and testing.
After successful completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- Complete all tasks through a system development lifecycle to produce a software product or certain deliverables, working in a group independently with task allocation.
- Create a full set of professional level documents covering all phases of the system development lifecycle.
- Integrate skills and knowledge gained from previous subjects as required by the project.
- Control probable risks when planning, organising and controlling project processing activities.
- Manage software projects under certain constraints and apply newly learned technologies and knowledge to the completion of project processing activities.
- Demonstrate the ability to reflect on learning experiences and the issues involved when managing software development projects.
- Demonstrate verbal communication skills when presenting a developed system to a diverse audience.
There are no formal lectures for this subject but a couple of workshop/information sessions. The subject content covers typical activities in developing an information system or a software project in real-world context.
•System development lifecycle including requirement analysis for a software system, design solutions that meet the requirements, system construction, data processing and testing, techniques and tools for the assurance of quality and compliance of the software system throughout its development life cycle.
•Project planning and management.
•Stakeholder management, including communication of designs, solutions, ideas to stakeholders.
•Team skills, including communication, collaboration, and negotiation.
•Reflection for improved performance, professional development, and lifelong learning.
•Documentation requirements for communicating software systems requirements and design (technical documentation & document version control).
•Final project presentation & promotion.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Portfolio||1.1 Project Proposal - 4500 words 1.2 Systems Analysis & Design Report - 7,500 words n. 1.3 Handover & Deployment Report -2,500 words . 1.4 Diary and Reflections Report 1.4.1 Diary (at least 1 entry per week with each entry of 100-250 words of length). 1.4.2 Reflections Report (600 words)||35||N||Group/Individual|
|Professional Task||2.1 Working Prototype - 2.2 Completed Final System.||50||N||Group|
|Presentation||Final Presentation - (25 minutes)||15||N||Group|
Subject Contact Opens in new window
Parramatta - Victoria Rd
Subject Contact Opens in new window