NURS 2008 Graduate Entry Practice Experience
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 401218
Coordinator Toni Azzopardi Opens in new window
Description This subject provides the student with an opportunity to consolidate their clinical skills development in an Australian health care facility, and contributes to the minimum professional practice experience placement requirement.
School Nursing & Midwifery
Discipline General Nursing
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 1 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 2 subject
Pre-requisite(s) NURS 1005
Co-requisite(s) NURS 2028
Equivalent Subjects NURS 2030 Professional Practice Experience A
Restrictions Students must be enrolled in 4692 Bachelor of Nursing (Graduate Entry).
Foundational professional practice nursing skills and knowledge.
- Engage in clinical decision making and problem-solving that promotes safe professional nursing care for individuals across the life span.
- Develop an understanding of ethical and legal frameworks to provide safe professional nursing care.
- Develop effective communication skills.
- Utilise an evidence-based approach to assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of nursing care.
- Reflect on performance of self to identify future learning goals and strategies.
- Apply the principles of Work Health and Safety (WH&S) in the clinical environment.
2. Clinical placement.
3. Critical reflection of practicum experience and achievement of clinical placement objectives.
4. Identification of personal learning goals and strategies for improvement in professional nursing practice.
To be eligible to enrol in a unit and attend a health-related placement in your course, students must meet Western Sydney University course requirements and Special Legislative Requirements to be assessed in their first year of study against the following:
1. National Criminal History Check: Students must have a current (expiring 3 years from date of issue) check valid for their entire program. A valid National Criminal history check must be an Australia wide check, include the student's full name matching their Student ID card and date of birth and not have any offences listed. If a student has a criminal history identified on their check, they must provide a Clinical Placement Authority Card (CPAC) or conditional letter from the NSW HealthShare Employment Screening and Review Unit
International students must additionally have a translated International Police Check or statutory declaration.
2. A NSW Working with Children Check (WWCC) clearance letter issued under the category of volunteer valid for their entire program.
3. A current approved first aid certificate valid for their entire program. Approved provider courses can be found at http://training.gov.au.
4. A completed vaccination/immunisation card with all serology results containing expiry dates and currency must be maintained by the student to ensure compliance for their entire course.
5. NSW Undertaking/Declaration form.
6. Completed any additional health forms required (such as NSW Health Code of Conduct, Health Student Undertaking/Declaration and Tuberculosis (TB) Assessment Tool).
7. Relevant Local Health District specific documentation as requested.
Contact your School for further details. Resources are also available on the Placement Hub website.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Professional Placement Performance: Clinical Practicum, 100% mandatory attendance||80 hours||S/U||Y||Individual|
|Learning Contract: Workshop A: online modules, Pre-Clinical personal learning objectives||2x modules 20 minutes each, 500 words||S/U||Y||Individual|
|Reflection: Workshop B: Online modules, Post-clinical personal reflection on clinical skills||2x modules 20 minutes each, 500 words||S/U||Y||Individual|
Summer B (2022)
Parramatta - Victoria Rd
Subject Contact Toni Azzopardi Opens in new window