REHA 3024 Occupational Therapy Practice 3
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 400910
Coordinator Bronwyn Gill Opens in new window
Description This subject will enable students to consolidate academic knowledge and practice skills. On campus practicums will focus on occupational therapy skill development to equip students with the skills to provide occupational therapy interventions during off-site professional practice placements. There will be opportunities to actively participate in assessment, analysis, goal setting, intervention and evaluation under the supervision of an occupational therapist. Students will experience full time work with occupational therapists in practice settings. Students will complete practice hours in accordance with World Federation of Occupational Therapy accreditation guidelines.
School Health Sciences
Discipline Occupational Therapy
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Pre-requisite(s) REHA 2004
Equivalent Subjects LGYA 7071 - Occupational Therapy Clinical Practice 3A
Students must be enrolled in 4663 Bachelor of Health Science/Masters of Occupational Therapy or 4711 Bachelor of Occupational Therapy or 4712 Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)as this is a specialty subject involving a placement and thus students only from occupational therapy programs are permitted.
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Perform professional communication skills in the practice setting
- Practise self-directed learning strategies through the use of a learning contract
- Reflect on their practice experience using a structured format
- Perform professional behaviours and self management in a practice setting with the guidance of an occupational therapy fieldwork supervisor
- Prepare documents in a professional format related to practice under the guidance of an occupational therapy fieldwork supervisor
- Conduct and interpret assessments relevant to the practice area under the guidance of an occupational therapy fieldwork supervisor
- Conduct occupational therapy intervention specific to the practice area in conjunction with an occupational therapy fieldwork superviso
- Utilise occupational therapy skills and techniques in practice settings
1. Professional practice placements
2. Professional behaviours and self management skills
3. Communication Skills
5. Assessment / Information Gathering
8. Group Skills
9. Specialist and generalist practice skills (eg splinting, groupwork)
Special Requirements - NSW Health Legislative Prerequisites Pre-requisites
Student Compliance Information for all Health-Related Placements
Prior to enrolling in this subject, students must have submitted a Student Undertaking Form and undertake to apply for a National Police Check, which is required to be submitted before placement, and a Working with Children Check Student Declaration. Use the link to the Special Requirements webpage below for more information.
To be eligible to enrol in this subject and complete any required health-related placements or experiences, students must meet Western Sydney University program requirements as well as any special, legislated, or policy-mandated requirements.
Western Program Requirements
Visit the Special Requirements webpage for details about your program.
Mandatory NSW Health student placement policy requirements
To be able to undertake placement in any NSW Health facility you must be assessed as compliant with NSW Health student placement policy in the first year of your program, regardless of when you expect to go on your first placement. Access and read the NSW Student Compliance Information Booklet.
Please ensure that you
- Find your existing National Police Check or apply for one
- Gather documentary evidence of your vaccination history
- Print and compete all relevant NSW Health forms relevant to the campus you are enrolled at or online enrolment requirements
- Follow booklet instructions on how to have your compliance documents assessed by NSW health staff.
International students have additional requirements; the link to the booklet will inform you of these requirements.
Contact your School for further details regarding your School’s requirements, if any, such as
- If you live outside of NSW or Australia and need to meet your state, territory or country’s compliance requirements
- If you need to meet different state, territory or country compliance requirements.
- NSW Working with Children Check (WWCC) or other state equivalent, valid for your entire program.
- Current approved first aid certificate valid for your entire program - approved program providers can be found at the Government Training website
- Other non-health related requirements.
Student Compliance Resources are also available on the Placements Hub web page (NSW students only)
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Viva Voce||10 minutes||30||N||Individual|
|Professional Placement Performance||National OT Practice Placement Evaluation tool used to assess performance completed by placement supervisor and satisfactory completion of a minimum of 225 hours||40||Y||Individual|
1st Half (2023)
Subject Contact Bronwyn Gill Opens in new window
1st Half (2024)
Subject Contact Bronwyn Gill Opens in new window