ENVL 3010 Environmental Planning, Policy & Regulation
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 301403
Coordinator Ian Wright Opens in new window
Description This unit is an introduction to environmental planning and environmental regulations in local and state governments. It covers the role of planning and enforcement of regulations in protecting the natural environment, enhancing public health and/or encouraging sustainable development practices. Students become familiar with the key legislation for environmental protection and then explore how planning and regulations can assist with achieving optimal environmental outcomes. Current planning and regulations are examined using urban development and planning in Sydney as the primary case study. The unit includes key environmental planning policies and important legislation used by state, local and Commonwealth governments to protect the natural and built environment and to protect public health.
Discipline Environmental Studies, Not Elsewhere Classified.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Equivalent Subjects PUBH 2007 Environmental Planning and Climate Change
ENVL 2002 Environmental Regulations and Policy
It is expected that the students will have completed some Level 1 subjects that have some environmental content.
- Explain the incorporation of environmental controls into development proposals and approvals;
- Explain the implementation of environmental protection objectives and policies in development assessment regulations;
- Relate environmental control principles and remedial strategies to NSW Government key legislation;
- Investigate and develop sound environmental strategies to rectify or avoid environmental problems using either regulatory or non-regulatory approaches as appropriate;
- Undertake sound research to inform recommendations to solve environmental problems.
- Gather evidence and prepare for legal action on an environmental problem under relevant legislation;
- Explain Commonwealth, state and local environmental planning law and policy;
- Research and set appropriate environmental planning goals for environmental protection and conservation within the built and natural environment context;
2.Current NSW environmental regulations for environmental protection and management
3.Current NSW legislation, with a key focus on: Local Government Act, Protection of the Environment Operations Act and Environmental Planning and Assessment Act.
4.Environmental regulations and planning approaches to enhance environmental sustainability;
5.Professional competencies relating to environmental regulation and environmental planning as required by graduate employers and as reflected in professional accreditation criteria;
6.Environmental management plans and policies such as:
a.Applicable State Environmental Planning Policies (SEPPs);
b.Metropolitan Strategy for Sydney;
c.Relevant regional strategies;
d.Local Environment Plans (LEPs)
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Individual report||1,500 words||20||N||Individual|
|Online Multiple choice quiz||6 quizzes worth 5 marks each||30||N||Individual|
|Individual report||2,000 words||50||N||Individual|
Subject Contact Ian Wright Opens in new window