PERF 3009 Music Careers Research
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 102429
Coordinator Joseph Williams Opens in new window
Description What music careers were sustainable in the past? How has the music industry changed over the last 3 decades? What would sustainable music careers look like in the future? Students will work on research projects that focus on music careers and the music industry. They will gain a good understanding of the careers available in music, including the qualifications and skills needed for jobs in music. They will also evaluate the research focused on music careers, including assessing the currency of websites that provide lists of music careers. Students will evaluate the degree to which the Bachelor of Music learning outcomes sufficiently prepare graduates for their chosen careers. Students will be introduced to a range of relevant methodologies. They will be expected to propose a topic, report on the progress of their research, retrieve and critically evaluate an appropriate literature for their project, and discuss the methods intended or used for their data collection and analysis.
School Humanities & Comm Arts
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Equivalent Subjects PERF 3017 - Music in Theory and Practice
- Design a research project focused on a music career
- Write a proposal for a research project focused on a music career
- Retrieve and provide a literature review for a research project focused on a music career
- Assess the degree to which the Bachelor of Music Learning Outcomes prepare students for a music career
- Evaluate the qualifications and skills needed for a music career
- Explain the methods used by themselves and other researchers for investigating a music career
- Interpret the findings of a research project focused on a music career
- Write a final paper reporting on the research undertaken
- Those attending Art of Sound will be able to: Develop, implement and promote Art of Sound activities and projects, guiding and collaborating with students across the Music program to further progress leadership, advanced production and performance skills. Involvement in Art of Sound will culminate in contribution to the program and coordination of the Creativity Unlimited Music Festival.
- critically Evaluating research about music careers
- Qualitative and quantitative research methods
- Ethnographic methods
- research and ethics
- writing about music careers
- organisation research documentation
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Oral Presentation and Event Management||20 Minutes||30||N||Individual|
|Proposal and Research Groundwork||2,000 Words||35||N||Individual|
|Final Research Outputs||2,000 words or 1,000 words plus Professional Development Output||35||N||Individual|
|Art of Sound||Minimum 2 hours per fortnight||S/U||Y||Individual|
Subject Contact Joseph Williams Opens in new window