COMP 7011 Multimedia Communication Systems
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 300256
Coordinator Hon Cheung Opens in new window
Description This unit covers advanced concepts and technologies used in emerging multimedia communication systems. Theory, practice and standards for IT professionals endeavouring to build data compression systems for multimedia applications are emphasised.
School Computer, Data & Math Sciences
Discipline Computer Science, Not Elsewhere Classified.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Students must be enrolled in a postgraduate program.
Basic knowledge in digital compression and coding, digital communication systems and fundamentals of data communication and networking.
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of current data compression schemes for all sources of information: audio, data, images, and video.
- Describe current compression standards and why the various design choices and tradeoffs were made.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the main issues involved in designing, implementing, selecting and evaluating data compression methods, algorithms and standards for providing multimedia services.
- Describe and analyse common protocols used in various contemporary networks for multimedia communication.
- Overview of multimedia and multimedia communication systems
- frequency domain coding
- still-Image compression Standard and Developments
- video compression techniques and Standards
- speech coding techniques and Standards
- multimedia conferencing Standards
- multimedia communication protocols and Standards
- multimedia Communications over networks
- Recent Advances in multimedia Communications
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Mid-session test||1 hour||20||N||Individual|
|Final Exam||2 hours||50||N||Individual|
Parramatta - Victoria Rd
Subject Contact Hon Cheung Opens in new window
Sydney City Campus - Term 1
Subject Contact Mahsa Razavi Opens in new window
Sydney City Campus - Term 3
Subject Contact Antoinette Cevenini Opens in new window