BUSM 7031 Financial Institution Management
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 51165
Coordinator Linda Wu Opens in new window
Description This unit provides participants with an overview of the types of financial institutions and the regulatory context within which they operate. Financial risk management and corporate responsibility serve as an underpinning framework to consider the complexity associated with managing contemporary financial institutions in an Australian and International context. A focus of the unit is to provide participants with an opportunity to use techniques to measure and manage financial risk.
Discipline Business And Management
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Students must be enrolled in a postgraduate Business program.
51163 - Financial Institutions and Markets and/or 200426 - Corporate Finance.
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Identify the main types of financial risk confronted by financial institutions;
- Apply relevant techniques to measure and manage financial risks;
- Identify the main regulations and operations of financial institutions within such regulations;
- Critically evaluate contemporary issues, including financial risks, affecting financial institutions and their owners, managers, employees and customers in an Australian and international context.
The Financial Services Industry: depository institutions
The Financial Services Industry: non-depository financial institutions
Why are financial intermediaries special?
Risks of financial intermediation
Interest rate risk
Portfolio and concentration risk
Foreign exchange risk
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Intra-session Exam||2 hours||30||N||Individual|
|Case Study||3,000 words||20||N||Group|
|Final Exam||2 hours||50||N||Individual|
- Lange, H., Saunders, A., & Cornett, M. 2013. Financial Institutions Management, 3rd edition, McGraw-Hill Australia.
Parramatta City - Macquarie St
Subject Contact Linda Wu Opens in new window
Sydney City Campus Quarter 3
Subject Contact Neelam Goela Opens in new window