ELEC 4006 Sustainable Energy Systems
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 300998
Coordinator Ragbir Bhathal Opens in new window
Description This unit prepares engineering students to work in the area of renewable energy systems and to be knowledgeable and be in a position to appraise environmental, social, legal, economic and political issues concerned with renewable energy systems.
School Eng, Design & Built Env
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 4 subject
Basic understanding of the principles and engineering applications of physics in energy systems.
- Explain the technical aspects of renewable energy systems
- Critically examine and assess the environmental issues associated with renewable energy systems
- Discuss and critically evaluate the economics of the renewable energy systems
- Critically assess the social, legal and political issues as they relate to renewable energy systems
2. Heat transfer/solar radiation
3. Solar photovoltaics
4. Wind energy
7. Wave energy and tidal power
8. Geothermal energy
9. Nuclear energy
10. Environmental impact of renewable energies
11. Economic issues
12. Political, social and legal issues
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Technical Report 1||3,000 words||60||N||Individual|
|Technical Report 2||1,500 words + Power point presentation 15 minutes||40||N||Individual|
- Boyle, G & Open University (eds) 2012, Renewable energy : power for a sustainable future, 3rd edn, Oxford University Press, Oxford.
2022 Semester 2
Subject Contact Ragbir Bhathal Opens in new window
Attendance Requirements 80% attendance rate is imposed in all core subjects’ due to the nature of class activities that are aligned with subject assessments.