ARCH 3006 Urban Design
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 102070
Coordinator Awais Piracha Opens in new window
Description The subject aims to provide students with an understanding of the nature, role and relevance of urban design. It will examine the issue of urban design at both the micro and macro scale. It also aims to promote awareness of, and sensitivity to, design considerations, and to enable students to critically evaluate urban spaces and places. A key feature of the course will be the development of the graphical communication skills of students.
School Social Sciences
Discipline Urban Design and Regional Planning
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Equivalent Subjects ARCH 3001 - An Introduction to Urban Design LGYA 1333 - Local Planning
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Understand the issues and concepts used by urban design professionals;
- Develop design criteria and plans for public spaces;
- Identify cultural heritage criteria in urban design, and address issues for appropriate protection and/or development of heritage;
- Determine the environmental impacts of urban design, and address issues for appropriate environmental mitigation and/or enhancement;
- Determine the social contexts of urban design, and address issues of social justice and community empowerment.
Urban utopias: garden cities to new urbanism
Importance of streetscape design and neighbourhood character
Topography, social context, history and design
The environmental impacts of urban design
Designing public realms: congregation and assembly
Designing boundaries: exclusive and inclusive design
Designing across the public / private binary
Designing transit spaces: assisting with flows and routes
Crime prevention through design
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
Parramatta City - Macquarie St
Subject Contact Awais Piracha Opens in new window