PUBH 7022 Public Health, Policy and Society
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 400416
Coordinator Chee Lim Opens in new window
Description This unit examines the nature of public health and develops a systemic understanding of various public health policy frameworks and issues. The unit provides the context and history for understanding public health approaches, explores the cultural and social dimensions of health and illness and the economic and political environment in which health policies and strategies are developed and implemented. The unit advocates a view of health that includes an implicit recognition of the physical, social and economic environment, affirms the importance of social justice and equity in health care, and emphasises the importance of inter-sectoral collaboration.
School Health Sciences
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Equivalent Subjects LGYB 7972 - Health Management Policy and Society LGYB 8025 - Health Management Policy and Society
Restrictions Students must be enrolled in a postgraduate program.
- Critically examine the range and variation of values, definitions and perspectives underlying health, illness and health care services, and analyse their influence on the character of health services and on policy approaches and impact.
- Critically examine the range of social variables relating to health and illness distribution patterns and the theoretical explanations for these patterns.
- Analyse recent developments in public health and related movements, including the new public health.
- Explore the politics, ideologies and ethics which underpin and impact on public health strategies and policies and their influence within the Australian health care system.
- Identify �gstructural interests�h in health care and critically analyse their role in and influence on health policy.
- Analyse selected health policy issues and evaluate current policy approaches within a public health framework.
- Examine current health resource distributio
- Determinants of population health - social Variables related to health and illness Distribution patterns
- theoretical Explanations for health inequalities and The implications of The Acceptance of various Explanations
- historical and cultural influences on health and illness Models
- societal responses to health ?eneed?f ? The organisation of health care systems and its relationship to societal ?evalues?f
- The meaning and scope of ?ehealth?f policy
- public health and health policy frameworks for analysis ? The Importance of multiple ?eperspectives?f in health policy analysis and development
- policy processes and analysis, including theories of choice and decision-making, stages
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Essay 1||2,500 words minimum - 3,000 words maximum||40||N||Individual|
|Essay 2||3,000 words minimum - 3,500 maximum||60||N||Individual|