ENGR 1023 Introduction to Engineering Business Management (WSTC AssocD)
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 700114
Coordinator Bader Unnisa Mehdi Opens in new window
Description This unit will cover aspects of modern engineering business management. This unit of study will provide students an opportunity to look at small, medium and large Engineering businesses and the role of Engineering Associates in those organisations.
School Eng, Design & Built Env
Discipline Other Engineering And Related Technologies
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 1 subject
Restrictions Students must be enrolled at Western Sydney University, The College in 7022 Associate Degree in Engineering
- Describe the functions and nature of modern engineering business management.
- Define the role, abilities and core competencies of the Engineering Associate in engineering businesses.
- Evaluate the principles and processes of modern engineering business management and identify key areas of management in small, medium and large Engineering business for further improvement.
- Integrate and apply the principles of engineering business management to solve complex engineering problems and become effective in the workplace.
- Explain the internal and external environment of the business and formulate business strategies
1. Introduction to management: roles, functions and organizations
2. The environment and corporate culture
3. Managing in a global environment
4. Ethics, social responsibility and sustainable development
5. Organisational planning and goal setting
6. Strategy formulation and implementation: environmental and internal analyses, and business strategies
7. Managerial decision-making
8. Fundamentals of organising
9. Human resource management
10. Managing diversity
11. Leading and motivation in organizations Marketing
12. Communication and teamwork in organizations
13. Managerial and quality control
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Case Study Report||3,000 words||25||N||Group|
|Oral Presentation||15 minutes||15||N||Group|
|Online Quizzes x 10||30 minutes each||20||N||Individual|
|Final Exam – Open Book||2 hours||40||N||Individual|
- Samson, D. and Daft, R.L. (2011). Fundamentals of management. South Melbourne, Vic.: Cengage Learning
Nirimba Education Precinct
Subject Contact Bader Unnisa Mehdi Opens in new window