Master of Cardiac Sonography
- Effective from: 2020
- Approved Abbreviation: MCardiacSon
- Western Sydney University Program Code: 4751
- AQF Level: 9
This program applies to students who commenced in 2020 or later.
Students should follow the program structure for the session start date relevant to the year they commenced.
The Masters in Cardiac Sonography integrates online and on-campus learning activities with students’ employed sonography practice. It enables students to develop the theoretical, practical and professional skills, together with the research proficiency required for the advanced practice of cardiac sonography.
◾ Director of Academic Program - Dr Kate McBride
Students may exit this program on completion of 80 credit points with a 4743 Graduate Diploma in Cardiac Sonography
Three years part-time
Prospective students should visit the following websites for general enquiries about this program.
|Campbelltown Campus||Part Time||External||See above|
This program is an Australian Sonographers Accreditation Registry (ASAR) approved graduate entry training program in cardiac sonography (echocardiography).
All Applicants must:
- Have a completed Graduate Diploma or equivalent in Cardiac Sonography with a minimum GPA of 5.0
- Submit a written expression of interest in the research component (final 3 subjects) of the Masters of Cardiac Sonography
- Have a cardiac sonography position (with a minimum of three days imaging per week) for the duration of the program. Written verification must be provided to the university by commencement of the program.
Applications from Australian and New Zealand citizens and holders of permanent resident visas must be made via the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC). Use the links below to apply via UAC or Western Sydney University. Applications made directly to Western Sydney do not have an application fee.
Applicants who have undertaken studies overseas may have to provide proof of proficiency in English. Local and International applicants who are applying through the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC) will find details of minimum English proficiency requirements and acceptable proof on the UAC website. Local applicants applying directly to the University should also use the information provided on the UAC website.
Overseas qualifications must be deemed by the Australian Education International - National Office of Overseas Skills Recognition (AEI-NOOSR) to be equivalent to Australian qualifications in order to be considered by UAC and Western Sydney University.
Applicants seeking admission on the basis of work experience must support their application with a Statement of Service for all work experience listed on the application.
Applicants with the Graduate Diploma in Cardiac Sonography award from Western Sydney University:
- Will be granted Advanced Standing for the 80 credit points of Graduate Diploma subjects
- Students must complete RADI 7001 Advanced Principles and Practice of Cardiac Sonography and HLTH 7008 Introduction to Biostatistics before commencing the RADI 7010 Research Project in Cardiac Sonography.
Applicants with cardiac sonography qualifications from universities other than Western Sydney University:
- May apply for recognition of prior learning (RPL) for up to 60 (50%) of the 120 credit points needed to successfully complete the program. RPL will be assessed on an individual basis.
- Students granted RPL of 60 credit points must complete RADI 7008 Principles of Cardiac Sonography 3 and RADI 7009 Principles of Cardiac Sonography 4, before undertaking RADI 7001 Advanced Principles and Practice of Cardiac Sonography, HLTH 7008 Introduction to Biostatistics and the RADI 7010 Research Project in Cardiac Sonography subjects.
Qualification for this award requires the successful completion of 120 credit points which include the subjects listed in the recommended sequence below.
|Autumn session||Credit Points|
|RADI 7006||Principles of Cardiac Sonography 1||10|
|RADI 7002||Practice of Cardiac Sonography 1||10|
|RADI 7007||Principles of Cardiac Sonography 2||10|
|RADI 7003||Practice of Cardiac Sonography 2||10|
|RADI 7008||Principles of Cardiac Sonography 3||10|
|RADI 7004||Practice of Cardiac Sonography 3||10|
|RADI 7009||Principles of Cardiac Sonography 4||10|
|RADI 7005||Practice of Cardiac Sonography 4||10|
|RADI 7001||Advanced Principles and Practice of Cardiac Sonography||10|
|HLTH 7008||Introduction to Biostatistics||10|
|MEDI 7066||Medical Research Project (PG)||20|
|Total Credit Points||120|