HLTH 2005 Exercise Prescription I
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 401143
Coordinator Bobby Cheema Opens in new window
Description This subject is designed to give students an understanding of and experience in exercise prescription and fitness program construction for the general population (apparently healthy) across all ages and genders. It will focus on the development of general health-related exercise programs, which improve aerobic and anaerobic fitness, muscular strength and endurance, flexibility and body composition. Students will design, implement, supervise and evaluate a self-prescribed exercise program, and instruct training sessions for fellow students.
School Health Sciences
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 2 subject
Equivalent Subjects HLTH 2006 - Exercise Prescription for General Populations
Students must be enrolled in 4658 - Bachelor of Health Science (Sport and Exercise Science).
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Articulate the principles of exercise prescription with particular emphasis on aerobic training, resistance training, and flexibility training methods
- Describe how ageing and physical inactivity impact upon health-related physical fitness and how exercise can be used to mitigate these effects
- Describe the absolute and relative contraindications to exercise participation and criteria to terminate fitness tests of all types
- Administer and interpret a range of pre-exercise health screening tools to determine the risk for an individual and appropriate action
- Select, implement, interpret, and modify standard health-related physical fitness tests for low risk individuals
- Design, implement, supervise, and evaluate training programs in the primary areas of exercise prescription for low risk clients using in-person and telepractice service delivery methods
1. The health benefits and risks of exercise
2. Pre-exercise screening, testing and interpretation
3.. General principles of exercise prescription and exercise program development
a. aerobic training
b. flexibility training
c. high-intensity interval training
d. resistance training
e. circuit training and group-based exercise programming
4. Fundamentals of periodization
5. Exercise prescription across the lifespan
6. Exercise prescription for weight management
7. Resistance training prescription for children and adolescents
8. Exercise prescription during pregnancy
9. Alternative training methods, yoga
10. Design, implement, supervise and evaluate effective exercise prescriptions using in-person and telepractice service delivery methods
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Final Exam||2 hours||50||Y||Individual|
- American College of Sports Medicine. ACSM�fs guidelines for exercise testing and prescription. 11th ed.Philadelphia:Wolters Kluwer/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins Health; 2022.
Subject Contact Bobby Cheema Opens in new window