MATH 1020 Mathematics for Engineers 2 (WSTC AssocD)
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 700102
Coordinator Zdenka Misanovic Opens in new window
Description The content of this unit covers a number of topics that build on the student's calculus knowledge from Mathematics for Engineers 1. The subject matter includes: ordinary differential equations, Laplace transforms and multi-variable calculus.Offerings of alternate units are dependent on there being sufficient student enrolment numbers. If enrolments are low, the College may cancel delivery of the alternate unit.
School Eng, Design & Built Env
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 1 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 1 subject
Pre-requisite(s) MATH 1017
Equivalent Subjects MATH 1019 - Mathematics for Engineers 2 LGYB 0454 - Mathematics for Engineers 2 (WSTC)
Restrictions Students must be enrolled at Western Sydney University, The College in 7022 Associate Degree in Engineering
- Recognise and solve various types of first and second order differential equations and some higher order ordinary differential equations.
- Set up a linear 2D system of differential equations and investigate its solution and the nature of its critical points.
- Apply Laplace transforms in solving problems.
- Use multivariable calculus techniques competently.
- Evaluate multiple (double and triple) integrals.
- Use mathematical reasoning to solve problems and communicate mathematical ideas using standard practices.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|5 Online quizzes. Each quiz is worth 3%||Approx. 30 minutes||15||N||Individual|
|Intra-session exam||90 minutes||25||N||Individual|
|4 Online quizzes each quiz is worth 5%||Approx 30 minutes||20||N||Individual|
|End of Session exam (in parts). Part 1 Written Numerical Problem Solving Part 2: Viva Voce||Part 1: 2 hours +30 minutes for submission (20%) Part 2: Viva Voce 20 minutes per student (20%)||40||Y||Individual|
Nirimba Education Precinct
Subject Contact Zdenka Misanovic Opens in new window