PUBH 7023 Safe and Sustainable Construction
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 301190
Coordinator Ali Al-Ashwal Opens in new window
Description This unit introduces two important aspects of construction projects: workplace safety and sustainability. Safety and sustainability are crucial issues in the upper echelons of the construction industry. This unit is intended to explore the theoretical frameworks and best practices to support health and safety in construction projects. It introduces various assessment tools and techniques that can be used to measure and improve sustainability in construction projects.
School Eng, Design & Built Env
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Restrictions Students must be enrolled in a postgraduate program.
Students are expected to have basic knowledge in building and construction.
- Analyse legal economic and ethical issues related to Workplace Health and Safety (WHS) in the construction industry;
- Develop strategies to improve health and safety performance of construction projects;
- Understand concepts and principles of sustainable development;
- Analyse appropriate sustainability assessment tools and carbon management approaches for construction projects;
- Conduct economic assessments such as whole-life cost (WLC), Cost-Benefit Analysis (CBA) and others for construction projects.
Legal, economic and ethical issues related to Workplace Health and Safety.
The concept of sustainability and the sustainable development agenda.
Sustainability assessment method and techniques.
Managing carbon emissions in construction.
Whole life costing.
Cost benefit analysis and other techniques in assessing development projects.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Case Study (Analysis of a workplace health and safety issue)||2000 words||20||N||Individual|
|Online Quiz (Safety & Sustainable Construction)||30 minutes||20||N||Individual|
|Major assignment||4000 words and 15 minutes||60||N||Both (Individual & Group)|
2022 Semester 2
Parramatta City - Macquarie St
Subject Contact Ali Al-Ashwal Opens in new window