NATS 7040 Research Skills in Science
Credit Points 20
Legacy Code 401154
Coordinator Mark Williams Opens in new window
Description This unit builds on undergraduate level science to develop a strong appreciation of postgraduate research skills. It will develop knowledge and understanding of techniques and skills applicable to postgraduate scientific study and research methodologies and critical awareness of literature. It will support you in understanding and evaluating current research. You will use technology to develop your information literacy skills, to communicate and to collaborate with others. You will also learn to act autonomously in planning and implementing work at a professional level. You will recognise how skills are continually developed through experience and can be transferred to other situations.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 20cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
- Demonstrate an understanding and knowledge of research methodologies.
- Demonstrate an understanding of techniques and skills applicable to scientific study.
- Critically evaluate current research.
- Evaluate research methodologies, to develop critiques, and to propose alternative hypotheses.
- Communicate information and conclusions to specialist and non-specialist audiences.
- Effectively present scientific and technical information.
- Demonstrate self-direction in tackling and solving problems.
- Plan and implement tasks at a professional level.
- Use ICT to develop and enhance information literacy.
- Use ICT in the effective and logical handling and analysis of data.
- Use ICT to communicate and collaborate with other students.
- Reflect on skills development and on the acquisition of knowledge and understanding.
- Explain their awareness of health and safety and ethical issues.
- scientific investigation and experimental design
- Analysing scientific data and interpreting results
- presentation skills
- Risk assessment
- developing scientific Projects
- professional skills