DESN 4006 Professional Design Experience: The Individual Practitioner
Credit Points 20
Legacy Code 102280
Coordinator Katrina Sandbach Opens in new window
Description Students will continue to work in the Burrow studio, but in this subject they are positioned as a junior designer who is working individually in response to a range of briefs with their tutor as Creative Director. Students will develop their capacity to manage projects independently from briefing, research, development, costing, and pitching. Through this capstone subject, students will also develop a self-promotion strategy, and increase their understanding of a range of professional practice issues as they relate to the individual practitioner, further preparing them for the industry.
School Humanities & Comm Arts
Discipline Graphic Design Studies
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 20cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 4 subject
Pre-requisite(s) DESN 4007
Restrictions Successful completion of 240 credit points in currently enrolled program.
- Further develop professional standards of communication and conduct in relation to working with colleagues, supervisors, clients, and suppliers
- Identify and use relevant research methodologies to inform understanding of target audience and develop appropriate concepts for client-driven briefs
- Practise industry-standard methods of project management, pitching, costing, delivery as an individual practitioner
- Engage with a variety of design development and production processes that lead to appropriate finished outcomes
- Develop a design portfolio and self-promotion strategy for industry presentation.
2. Resources and activities that introduce students to practical issues such as costing, invoicing, negotiation, pay rates
3. Field work as relevant to the brief (e.g. site visits, online research, attendance of meetings/events)
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Live Brief Portfolio||Written and visual work equivalent to 2,000 words.||50||N||Individual|
|Self-Promotion Strategy and Collateral||Visual work equivalent to 2,000 words||50||N||Individual|
Parramatta - Victoria Rd
Subject Contact Katrina Sandbach Opens in new window