HUMN 7027 Leading Change
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 102161
Coordinator Christine Woodrow Opens in new window
Description From 2020 students should note that core units are now taught in semesters rather than half yearly sessions. This unit explores change and leadership through a range of contexts. In this unit we critically analyse cultural, structural and political dimensions of change in organisations, systems and communities. This unit is grounded in leadership models that feature collaborative and relationship enhancing approaches to enable purposeful change.
Discipline Education Studies
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 1 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Critically analyse the nature of change, change agency and the role of individuals, organisations and systems
- Critique change strategies, including media, contexts, systems and impacts.
- Articulate a holistic perspective on leaders as activists, advocates and capacity builders within change processes
- Analyse models of leadership for productive change
- Use cases to apply theoretical understandings about leadership and change
- Evaluate a range of effective strategies, processes and skills that may be used to develop and maintain constructive teamwork;
- Evaluate a case study of successful change leadership
- Evaluate reflective and ethical approaches to case study conduct
1. Understanding and critically analysing change and change contexts.
2. Theory and practice of leadership for change.
3. Critiquing and building models of leadership for activism, advocacy and capacity building
4. Application of understandings about leadership and change to specific cases and examples.
5. Building strategic partnerships and active team work.
6. Using and developing case studies to examine change.
7. Reflective and ethical approaches to case study conduct.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Critical text analysis of policy, report or media text||2,500 words||40||N||Individual|
|Case study of a person or team who has (have) led successful change||3,500 words||60||N||Individual|