ENGR 1008 Engineering Materials
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 300965
Coordinator Qinghua Zeng Opens in new window
Description This unit will introduce fundamentals of engineering materials. The topics will include materials structure, properties, processing and applications, degradation of materials, sustainability, and the selection of materials for various engineering applications.
School Eng, Design & Built Env
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 1 subject
Equivalent Subjects ENGR 1014 - Engineering Design Concepts (EDC) ENGR 1034 - Engineering and Design Concepts (UWSC) LGYB 0481 - Engineering and Design Concepts (UWSC Assoc Deg) ENGR 1009 - Engineering Materials (WSTC Assoc Deg) ENGR 1010 - Engineering Materials (WSTC)
HSC mathematics (not General Mathematics), physics and chemistry.
- describe and identify the atomic structure, bonding, crystal structure and defects of materials;
- explain and determine the various properties of materials (e.g., mechanical, thermal, electrical, optical, magnetic);
- identify and explain the mechanical failures, corrosion, and degradation of materials and how to prevent them;
- select an appropriate material for a given application;
- apply sustainability principles in engineering practice.
Crystalline structure and defects in solids
Mechanical and physical properties
Metals, ceramics and glasses, polymers, composites, and advanced materials
Materials and sustainability
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Weekly Online Tutorials||(1) Total mark for tutorials will be 20. (2) There are 10 weekly online tutorial s, and each weights 2 marks. 1 hour||20||N||Individual|
|2 x Quizzes||Two quizzes 15 marks each 1 hour each quiz.||30||N||Individual|
|4 x Practicals||2 hours each||20||N||Both (Individual & Group)|
|Final Exam||2 hours||30||N||Individual|
- Callister, WD & Rethwisch, DG 2015, Fundamentals of materials science and engineering: an integrated approach, 5th edn, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ.
2022 Trimester 1
Subject Contact Peter Lendrum Opens in new window
2022 Trimester 2
Subject Contact Yang An, Peter Lendrum Opens in new window