CIVL 7007 Advanced Timber Structures
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 301009
Coordinator Fidelis Mashiri Opens in new window
Description This subject enables students to gain an in-depth knowledge into timber structures based on Australian Standards. Design of timber beams, floors, columns and connections will be introduced with a focus on the use of plywood, round timbers, glue-laminated timber and structural laminated veneer lumber.
School Eng, Design & Built Env
Discipline Civil Engineering
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Students must be enrolled in a postgraduate program
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Interpret the properties of sawn timber and manufactured wood products that influence their strength as a construction materials.
- Apply limit state design concepts for timber elements and whole structures
- Determine design loads and analyse timber structures to evaluate internal design action effects
- Design timber elements based on evaluated design action effects
1. Characteristics, grading and use of timber for structural design
2. Design of tension members
3. Design of Compression members
4. Design of members in flexure
5. Design of members under combined action
6. Design of connections
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|10 pages per assignment
Parramatta City - Macquarie St
Subject Contact Fidelis Mashiri Opens in new window