TEAC 1005 Children's Digital Worlds
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 102663
Coordinator Joanne Orlando Opens in new window
Description This subject will develop students’ understanding of young children’s digital engagement and how to build on their technology experiences to develop quality learning in early childhood settings. Vital to this process is an understanding of how young children use technology and the implications of their digital engagement for their play, learning and development. Students will critically explore various aspects of children’s digital engagement including the various ways young children use technology, the factors that contribute to their use, and the learning that occurs through their device play. Strategies for building on children’s digital worlds in the curriculum will also be critically reviewed. In this subject students will explore technology-based learning experiences for children in early childhood contexts.
Discipline Teacher Education: Early Childhood
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 1 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 1 subject
Students must be enrolled in 1879 Bachelor of Education (Birth – 5 Years).
- Engage with media and research literature regarding children’s digital worlds.
- Explain children’s uses of technology from a child’s perspective, and from an adults’ perspective.
- Identify the factors that influence how a child uses technology at home, in social spaces and in educational settings.
- Identify key aspects of children’s technology use that supports learning.
- Describe strategies for developing curriculum using technology to support learning in early childhood.
- How young children use technology
- Debates surrounding young children’s technology use
- Using literature to identify and analyse the factors that influence young children’s uses of technology
- Safe uses of technology for young children
- Technology use that supports learning in early childhood
- The role of the educator in facilitating children’s use of technology for learning
- Critical teaching and learning strategies to support children’s learning using technology
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Critical Review||650 words||40||N||Individual|