LANG 1002 Arabic 101
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 100041
Coordinator Nawal Sami Opens in new window
Description This unit is designed as an introduction to the Arabic language as well as the contemporary and popular culture of the Arabic-speaking people. It is intended for students who are at beginner level in Modern Standard Arabic in all four skills -listening, speaking, reading and writing. Components of this unit may be presented in English. Students with a background of study in the language need to obtain advice on their appropriate level of language study. During the first two weeks of class, the lecturer will monitor the performance of students and advise students who need to transfer to a higher class. Students should consult the Languages Academic Course Advisor or Unit Coordinator if they are unsure of their entry level.
School Humanities & Comm Arts
Discipline Southwest Asian and North African Languages
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 1 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 1 subject
- apply basic Arabic language skills in listening, speaking, reading and writing;
- gained knowledge of key elements of some Arab countries and the Arabic-speaking community in Australia;
- identify key characteristics of the Arabic language and its development;
- demonstrate basic knowledge of the contexts where Arabic is taught in Australia.
- An introduction to Arab culture;
- A focus on fundamental grammatical forms at the beginner's level;
- Activities and tasks aimed at developing listening comprehension, speaking, reading and writing skills at beginner's level.
There are inherent requirements for this subject that you must meet in order to successfully complete this subject. Make sure you read and understand the requirements for your subject online.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Two language tasks||30 minutes to 1 hour||20||N||Individual|
|Oral Test||5 minutes||10||N||Individual|
|Examination||Maximum 2 hours||40||N||Individual|
Subject Contact Nawal Sami Opens in new window