ENGR 1009 Engineering Materials (WSTC AssocD)
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 700147
Coordinator Abbas Ranjbar Opens in new window
Description This unit will introduce fundamentals of engineering materials. The topics will include materials structure, properties, processing and applications, degradation of materials, sustainability and the selection of materials for various engineering applications.
School Eng, Design & Built Env
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 1 subject
Equivalent Subjects ENGR 1014 - Engineering and Design Concepts ENGR 1034 - Engineering and Design Concepts (UWSC) LGYB 0481 - Engineering and Design Concepts (UWSC Assoc Deg) ENGR 1008 - Engineering Materials ENGR 1010 - Engineering Materials (WSTC)
Restrictions Students must be enrolled at Western Sydney University, The College in 7022 - Associate Degree in Engineering
HSC mathematics (not General Mathematics), physics and chemistry.
- Describe and identify the atomic structure, bonding, crystal structure and defects of materials.
- Explain the various properties of materials (eg mechanical, thermal, electrical, optical, magnetic.
- Identify and explain the mechanical failures, corrosion and degradation of materials and how to prevent them.
- Select an appropriate material for a given application.
- Apply sustainability principles in engineering practice.
2. Crystalline structure and defects in solids
3. Mechanical and physical properties
4. Metals, ceramics and glasses, polymers, composites and advanced materials
5. Materials selection
6. Materials and sustainability
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Practicals||6 hours||15||N||Both (Individual & Group)|
|Online Quizzes x 10||10 x 0.5 hours = 5 hours||30||N||Individual|
|Intra-session exam||1 hrs + 30 minutes for online submission||15||N||Individual|
|End of session exam (in parts): Part 1: written – problem solving/short answer Part 2: Viva Voce||Part 1: 2 hours + 30 minutes for online submission Part 2: 20 minutes per student||40||Y||Individual|
- Callister, WD & Rethwisch, DG 2012, Fundamentals of Materials Science and Engineering: An Integrated Approach, 4th edn, John Wiley & Sons, New York.
2022 Quarter 4
Nirimba Education Precinct
Subject Contact Abbas Ranjbar Opens in new window
Attendance Requirements 80% attendance rate is imposed in all core subjects’ due to the nature of class activities that are aligned with subject assessments.