LAWS 6002 Remedies in the Construction Context
Credit Points 10
Coordinator John Juriansz Opens in new window
Description The subject aims to deepen student understanding of the nature, role, and function of remedies to construction projects. The content of this subject elucidates the principles and the interaction between the technical, commercial and legal aspects of remedies in construction procurement and disputes. Students will investigate existing and emerging legal issues relating to remedies in the construction contexts. Legal and non-legal practitioners need to be confident in their understanding of the remedies available under various causes of action. Construction law requires a sound knowledge of relevant case law and legislation concerning diverse matters, such as damages in contract, recovery in tort for pure economic loss, penalties (including liquidated damages), quantum meruit, remedies under the Australian Consumer Law and the grant of interlocutory injunctions.
Discipline Business and Commercial Law
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 6 subject
Co-requisite(s) LAWS 5005 - Construction Law
Must be enrolled in a Post Graduate program
- Analyse principles, the role and function of legal remedies relating to construction projects.
- Examine the interaction between the technical, commercial and legal aspects of remedies in construction procurement and disputes.
- Conduct a research project investigating existing and emerging legal issues relating to remedies in the construction context.
- Present concepts, issues and solutions to legal remedies arising from construction projects to diverse audiences using appropriate communication strategies.
- Collaborate with diverse stakeholders to make decisions and implement solutions in the construction context.
- Damages for breach of contract
- Penalties (including liquidated damages)
- Equitable remedies for breach of fiduciary duty
- Proportionate liability
- Temporary injunctions
- Recovery in tort for pure economic loss
- Remedies under the Australian Consumer Law
- Quantum meruit claims
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Case Study||750 words||40||N||Individual|
|Research Project||2500 words||40||N||Individual|