CMPL 3003 Traditional Chinese Medicine Practice 1
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 400354
Coordinator Yu-Ting Sun Opens in new window
Description This unit is focused on introductory clinical practice in a clinical setting. It enables the students to link theory with practice. It expands the students' knowledge base of Chinese medicine theory and diagnosis, and the application of acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine treatment. Students assist with clinical practice, take consultations, and perform basic acupuncture related techniques. Students will also learn basic skills in handling herbal preparation and dispensing. This unit includes mandatory clinical placement
School Health Sciences
Discipline Traditional Chinese Medicine
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Pre-requisite(s) CMPL 2006
Restrictions Students must be enrolled in 4660 Bachelor of Health Science-Master of Traditional Chinese Medicine or 4710 Bachelor of Traditional Chinese Medicine.
- Conduct basic aspects of clinic and patient management
- Conduct Chinese medicine consultations and maintain case records according to
- Formulate Chines medicine diagnoses and treatment plans in a clinical setting
- Apply acupuncture theories and techniques in the treatment of commonly seen conditions
- Explain Chinese medicine diagnosis and treatments to patient in lay terms
- Prepare herbal decoction
- Dispense raw, granule, patent Chinese herbal medication according to accreditation standards
- Apply reflective practice to support clinical learning.
- managing patients and patient records
- assisting in equipment used in treatment
- room preparation
2. Conducting a Chinese medicine consultation and forming diagnosis and treatment
3. Explaining Chinese medicine to the patient
4. Preparing of herbal decoctions
5. Dispensing Chinese medicinal prescriptions, labelling and recording requirements, administration advice and precautions
6. Acupuncture prescription formulation for common conditions
Prior to enrolling in this subject, students must have submitted a Student Undertaking Form and undertake to apply for a National Police Check, which is required to be submitted before placement. Students must also hold a valid and current First Aid Certificate from a Registered Training Organisation. Refer to the Special Requirements website for more information.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Case Study||Initial case report form + 1500 words supplementary report||30||N||Individual|
|Practical||Quiz and zoom simulation scenarios||30||Y||Individual|
|Professional Placement Performance - Clinical Competency Assessment||Quiz, zoom simulation scenarios and block skill training when available||40||Y||Individual|
|Clinical practicum Logbook||36 online hours, 20hr block skill trainins||S/U||Y||Individual|
Subject Contact Yu-Ting Sun Opens in new window