TEAC 7012 Assessment and Intervention for Science Learning
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 102488
Coordinator Karina Mckoy Opens in new window
Description The purpose of this unit is for students to be informed of different types of diagnostic, formative, and summative assessment strategies used in primary science contexts. Examination of assessment methods and resources will help teachers develop a comprehensive philosophy of assessment in primary science. Students will develop skills in adapting instructional units to incorporate a research-based assessment system, become familiar with strategies to analyse assessment data, and design interventions in response to assessment data.
Discipline Teacher Education: Primary
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 1 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Students must be enrolled in 1845 Graduate Certificate in Primary Science Education.
A basic understanding of classroom assessment practices, features of positive classroom environments, and outcomes of the primary science syllabus is desirable.
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Identify contemporary, research-based diagnostic, formative, and summative assessment strategies specific to science education
- Adapt a unit in primary science to incorporate appropriate diagnostic, formative, and summative assessment strategies
- Develop assessment strategies for an integrated unit using a scientific context in the primary science curriculum
- Explain research-based strategies for utilising assessment data to inform future teaching in primary science
- Synthesize information from a set of assessment data and articulate how to respond with future interventions
1. Diagnostic assessment strategies in primary science education
2. Formative assessment strategies in primary science education
3. Summative assessment strategies in primary science education
4. Analysis of assessment data in primary science
5. Pedagogical interventions based on assessment data in primary science
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
Subject Contact Karina Mckoy Opens in new window