NURS 7007 Bioscience for Midwifery Practice
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 401088
Description This unit provides students with an understanding of the biological and physiological aspects of human reproduction including the menstrual cycle, fertilisation and embryology, pregnancy, labour, birth and the early postnatal weeks. Emphasis will be placed on normal maternal anatomy and physiology of pregnancy, labour and birth and the postnatal period. It will include fetal growth and development, adaptation of the newborn and growth and development to six weeks of age.
School Nursing & Midwifery
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 1 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Restrictions Students must be enrolled in 4697 Graduate Diploma in Midwifery and can only be undertaken by a registered nurse employed in a participating NSW Health Local Health District facility in the position of a midwifery student.
- Identify and describe the normal biological and physiological processes related to pregnancy, labour and birth, and the postnatal period
- Describe growth and development of the fetus and relate it to stages of pregnancy
- Describe physiological changes that occur at birth and growth and development of the newborn to six weeks of age
2. Labour and birth; initiation and maintenance and progress of labour, birth process (fetal position and descent, contraction patterns, mechanism of labour and birth in a variety of positions)
3. Postnatal; maternal physiological changes, physiology of the newborn at birth, newborn growth and development to six weeks
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Online Quiz x 2||30 mins each quiz||40||N||Individual|
|End of session closed book examination: MCQ and short answer||2 hours||60||Y||Individual|
- Davies, L., & McDonald, S. (Eds.). (2008). Examination of the newborn and neonatal health: A multidimensional approach. Edinburgh, United Kingdom: Churchill Livingstone /Elsevier.
- Gray, J., Smith, R., & Homer, C. (2009). Illustrated dictionary of midwifery (Australian and New Zealand ed.). Chatswood, Australia: Butterworth Heinemann/ Elsevier.
- Pairman, S., Tracy, S., Dahlen, H. & Dixon, L. (2019). Midwifery: preparation for practice (4th ed.). Chatswood, N.S.W: Elsevier, Australia
- Rankin, J. (2013). Myles midwifery: Anatomy and physiology workbook. Edinburgh, United Kingdom: Elsevier.
- Rankin, J. (2017). Physiology in childbearing: With anatomy and related biosciences (4th ed.). Edinburgh, UK: Bailliere Tindall/Elsevier