INFO 0006 Computer Fundamentals (WSTC Prep)
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 700277
Coordinator Keembiyage De Silva Opens in new window
Description The Computer Fundamentals unit aims to develop a solid theoretical foundation to help students prepare for further study in Information and Communications Technology while developing/enhancing students' practical skills in Business Processing Applications. Topics in the unit include the underpinning concepts of Information Technology, Software and Hardware, Computer Networking, Internet, Security of Information Systems, Privacy and Ethics, Use of MS Office applications and HTML.
School Western Sydney The College
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 0 Preparatory subject
Restrictions Students must be enrolled at Western Sydney, The College.
- Identify and describe the basic components and concepts of Information Technology.
- Identify the basic components and protocols of computer networking and internetworking.
- Explain the key security issues of information technology.
- Recognise and explain the social, ethical and privacy issues relating to computing.
- Demonstrate competency in the use of the following Microsoft Applications: Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Create a Basic Web site using HTML.
1. Introduction to underpinning concepts of Information Technology
2. Computer Hardware and Software
3. Data representation and converting number systems
4. Communication Networks
5. The Internet and the World Wide Web
a. Security, social, ethical and privacy issues.
6. Introduction to the Windows Environment
7. Introduction to MS Word
8. Introduction to MS PowerPoint
9. Introduction to MS Excel
10. Introduction to HTML
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Participation and tutorial activities||10 activities||10||N||Individual|
|Electronic Portfolio||2 activities||20||N||Individual|
|Electronic Portfolio/ Presentation||2 activities, presentation (5-10 min)||25||N||Individual|
|Intra-session Exam||60 minutes||10||N||Individual|
|Final Examination||2 hours||35||N||Individual|