PUBH 7024 Safety and Risk Management
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 300677
Coordinator John Loxton Opens in new window
Description This unit provides a critical insight into the theory and practice of managing safety and health at the workplace with a dual focus on risk management and safety management. Students have the opportunity to develop a safety systems approach concentrating on hazard identification, risk assessment and devising control measures incorporating safety management principles. Safety culture and its influence on Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) practice is also detailed. In addition, the unit addresses the legal underpinning of OHS requirements at the workplace. Labour market change and the role of government, unions and employer organisations are also examined. Global perspectives on OHS from various jurisdictions ranging from the USA, Hong Kong and China are also scrutinised.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Equivalent Subjects LGYA 5996 - Safety Management LGYA 6000 - Risk Assessment
Restrictions Students must be enrolled in a postgraduate program.
Recognition that Occupational Health and Safety procedures are legislatively required at the workplace and the ability to recognise the need to protect workers from harm at the workplace.
- Appraise the values, assumptions and models that underpin the development of risk assessment principles and of safety management processes
- Identify and implement the principles of applied safety management premised on risk assessment and management
- Critically analyse the systems approach to safety management responsibilities
- Define and implement an integrated approach to safety systems
- Discern the significance of safety culture to safety management
- Advise on the integration of occupational health and safety programs into routine management systems
- Produce and perform a risk assessment that identifies and apply the expected control measures
Module 2 Risk Management
Module 3 Safe Systems of work
Module 4 OHS Legal and Regulatory context
Module 5 Safety Culture
Module 6 Safety Management Systems
Module 7 International approaches to risk and safety management
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Critical Review||1,500 words||30||N||Individual|
|Presentation (4 per group with 5 minutes each)||20 minutes (4 per group with 5 minutes each)||20||N||Group|
|Critical Review||2,000 words||50||N||Individual|
- Hopkins, A (2014). Safety Culture and Risk, Wolters Kluwer. ISBN: 9781925215694 (eBook)