CMPL 3002 Chinese Medicinal Formulas
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 400878
Coordinator Yu-Ting Sun Opens in new window
Description Herbal medicine is the principal therapeutic intervention in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). This subject follows from Chinese Materia Medica 1 & 2, and begins the study of major Chinese herbal formulas, which form the basis for clinical prescribing in Chinese herbal medicine. The focus of this subject is to compare and contrast the main formulas in specified categories, and to analyse the specific actions of the herbs that make up the formula. Students will be required to formulate, assemble and prepare complex prescriptions. This subject expands upon the student's knowledge of the Chinese Materia Medica, as well as the understanding of TCM theory and practice principles.
School Health Sciences
Discipline Traditional Chinese Medicine
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Equivalent Subjects LGYA 7240 - Chinese Herbal Medicine 3
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Evaluate the construction of Chinese herbal formulas;
- Articulate herb interactions and apply this knowledge in the construction of formulas;
- Compare and contrast the main formulas in the categories covered, including the herbs that make up the formula, their action and indications for usage of the formula;
- Formulate and modify herbal prescriptions to suit individual clinical presentations.
1. Introduction to Chinese herbal formulas
- therapeutic methods and herbal formulas
- composition of herbal formula
- action to take in The event of An unexpected reaction
2. Major herbal formulas
- exterior dispersing formulas
- heat clearing formulas
- Laxative and purgative formulas
- Dryness dispelling formulas
- Wind eliminating formulas
- dampness dispelling formulas
- phlegm dispelling formulas
- food stagnation reducing formulas
- QI regulating formulas
- blood regulating formulas
- Tonifying formulas
- interior warming formulas
- Astringent formulas
- shen calming formulas
- Harmonizing formulas
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
- Scheid, V., Bensky, D., Barolet, R. & Ellis, A. (2009). Chinese Herbal Medicine: Formulas and Strategies (Second Edition). Seattle: Eastland Press.
Subject Contact Yu-Ting Sun Opens in new window