EART 3005 Statistical Hydrology
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 300991
Coordinator Ataur Rahman Opens in new window
Description This unit covers the principles of statistical hydrology. It explores at-site flood frequency analysis, regional flood frequency analysis, trend analysis of hydrological data, linear regression analysis and multivariate statistical techniques to solve hydrological problems.
School Eng, Design & Built Env
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Pre-requisite(s) EART 4001
- Apply at-site flood frequency analysis techniques to estimate design floods from recorded streamflow data.
- Apply regional flood frequency analysis techniques to estimate design floods when no recorded streamflow data is available.
- Apply trend analysis to rainfall and streamflow time series data to check the stationarity of the data.
- Apply linear regression analysis to develop prediction models to estimate streamflow and rainfall indices.
- Apply multivariate statistical techniques to hydrological problems.
- Evaluate current Australian codes and software to solve statistical hydrological problems.
- Critically evaluate current literature to benchmark recent problems and developments in statistical hydrology practice.
- Design sustainable hydrology projects.
2. Regional flood frequency analysis
3. Trend analysis of hydrological data
4. Linear regression analysis as applied to hydrological problems
5. Multivariate statistical techniques as applied to hydrological problems
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|2 Quizzes (Short answer test) at 10% each = 20%||30 minutes each||20||N||Individual|
|Project (Students will produce group report, 3 students in a group, a group submits one report)||2,500 words||25||N||Individual|
|Final exam||2 hour||55||N||Individual|
2022 Trimester 3
Subject Contact Ankit Agarwal Opens in new window
Attendance Requirements 80% attendance rate is imposed in all core subjects’ due to the nature of class activities that are aligned with subject assessments.