TEAC 5041 Career Education Practice
Credit Points 10
Coordinator Roberto Parada Opens in new window
Description This subject introduces students to core knowledge and skills necessary to prepare others to follow their career/work aspirations. By examining labour market information, identifying relevant support organisations and services students will be able to apply career development theories, concepts, research, and associated models and frameworks to provide career planning that is sensitive and respectful of an individual’s capabilities and barriers to work. This subject also introduces students to methods to evaluate the advice and services which they provide.
Discipline Teacher Education, Not Elsewhere Classified.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 1 10cp
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 5 subject
Students must be enrolled in a postgraduate program.
After successful completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- Apply career development theories, concepts, research, and associated models and frameworks to practice
- Use effective verbal and written communication skills to develop and maintain rapport
- Collect, analyse, and use information for the purpose of career education
- Use motivational interviewing for career education
- Articulate a strength-based approach with diverse advisees
- Apply methods and techniques to evaluate service provision
- Preparation for work/career
- Developing and researching career prospects
- Preparation of career texts and communications in a connected world
- Personal communication strategies and concepts for career education
- Motivation and career education theories
- The strength-based approach in career education
- Evaluating the benefits of career education
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.