PERF 7003 Music Therapy Method
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 100910
Coordinator Allison Fuller Opens in new window
Description In 2023, this subject replaced by PERF 6001 - Music Therapy Foundations & Approaches. Music Therapy Method provides a background to the historical development and theoretical underpinnings of music therapy, with focus on a broad range of music therapy approaches and orientations including Culture-Centred Music Therapy and Nordoff-Robbins Music Therapy. Human development through the lifespan is studied, along with an overview of disability and disorders. The fundamental principles of self-care and supervision for music therapy practitioners and students are introduced within this subject and continued in later subjects of the Master of Creative Music Therapy course.
School Humanities & Comm Arts
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Students must be enrolled in 1650 Master of Creative Music Therapy.
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Create professional presentations, use critical thinking skills, and engage in active learning methods within the music therapy context.
- Describe the historical development of music therapy as a profession and demonstrate an understanding of the role of the Australian Music Therapy Association (AMTA).
- Describe and explain the main tenets of at least 3 music therapy approaches/orientations.
- Evaluate relevant therapeutic and educational theories in relation to the cognitive, physical, social, emotional and spiritual domains of the person in relation to music therapy practice.
- Identify key issues relating to people with a disability in Australia and how this affects the delivery of music therapy.
- Articulate the fundamental principles of self-care and supervision for music therapy practitioners and students.
Music Therapy Overview: Historical perspective, Areas of practice, Australian Music Therapy Association (AMTA) history and purpose.
Human Development Overview: Lifespan development perspectives, including theories of learning and moral reasoning.
Disability and Disorders Overview: Diagnostic and statistical manual V (DSMV), National disability insurance scheme (NDIS), Introduction to therapeutic interventions across the lifespan.
Music Therapy Approaches and Orientations: Overview of music therapy approaches and orientations, underpinnings & methods including Developmental Music Therapy, Nordoff-Robbins Music Therapy, Vocal Approaches, Culture-Centred Music Therapy, Neurologic Music Therapy, and Family-Centred Music Therapy.
Professional issues: Self-Care and supervision for music therapy students and practitioners across their career.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Short Answer||Minimum of 300 words on 10 out of 12 weeks (3000 words in total)||30||N||Individual|
|Presentation||5 min oral-visual presentation + 5 mins questions and changeover||30||N||Individual|
|Participation||Attendance at a minimum of 11 lectorials across the semester||S/U||Y||Individual|
Subject Contact Allison Fuller Opens in new window