SPRT 3005 Contemporary Youth Health Issues
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 400894
Coordinator Nicki Taylor Opens in new window
Description This subject has been replaced by SPRT 3024 Contemporary Youth Health from 2023. The subject explores contemporary health issues related to young people. Students will examine a range of topics from a multidisciplinary approach, which include the social, cultural, political and biological factors that influence and construct young people's lives and health. Students will explore pathogenic and salutogenic approaches to understanding and promoting young people's health. When considering and analysing the influences and contexts, students will be able to gather resources and develop diverse meaningful strategies that will assist young people to promote health practices.
School Health Sciences
Discipline Sport and Recreation, Not Elsewhere Classified.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Incompatible Subjects HUMN 3072 - Sexuality SPRT 3006 - Introduction to Drug Use in Society
Students must be enrolled in 4659 Bachelor of Health Science (PDHPE), 4549 Bachelor of Health Science (PDHPE), 4741 Bachelor of Sport Development, 4742 Bachelor of Health Science (Health and Physical Education)-Pathway to Teaching (Secondary), 4747 Bachelor of Health Science (Health and Physical Education), 6001 Diploma in Health Science/Bachelor of Health Science (Health and Physical Education)
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Explain the health conditions of young people in terms of current trends and targeted populations in Australia.
- Develop an understanding of the ways social and cultural contexts impact on the lives of young people.
- Analyse a range of influences that impact young people�fs lives and health.
- Critically explore matters such as inclusiveness, differences, social class, gender, sexuality and ethnicity in relation to young people�fs health practices.
- Identify skills and resources that enable young people to promote health.
- Develop a research report that explores young people�fs health.
1. Population characteristics and trends in young people?fs health
2. Social and cultural influences in young people?fs health
3. Young people?fs health and their bodies
4. Young people?fs health, sport and physical activity from diverse groups
5. Young people?fs gender, sexuality and sexual health
6. Young people?fs health and technology
7. Young people?fs substance, tobacco and alcohol use
8. Young people?fs risk taking behaviours and health
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Peer Review||2 pages||5||N||Individual|