HUMN 3117 Place-Making for Tourism and the Cultural Economies
Credit Points 10
Coordinator Felicity Picken Opens in new window
Description The subject will explore the strategic use of practices and institutions like the arts, heritage, architecture and museums to enhance and attract creative economic activities. Theories that assist in framing and explaining these changes are presented and debated alongside exemplar and emerging case studies to encourage the analysis of space, culture and economic practice in contemporary contexts.
School Social Sciences
Discipline Human Geography
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Equivalent Subjects CULT 3014 - Heritage Interpretation
- Describe the key contributors to the re-design of places in post-industrial contexts.
- Apply knowledge of the museum as a microcosm of changes taking place in wider public settings.
- Produce a design, drawing on relevant theory and practice to enhance the cultural arts economy of Western Sydney.
- Synthesise and critically evaluate challenges and opportunities in efforts to remake places for post-industrial economies.
- Introduction: defining the key contributors to place-making in post-industrial contexts
- Writing and reading spaces through architecture and design
- Exemplars and antecedents of remodelling places as consumption-scapes
- Interpreting spaces through universal markers and marks of distinction
- Models of material culture & the implications for interpreting heritage
- Understanding the public/consumer/visitor
- Engaging the public/consumer/visitor
- Interpreting places through digital modes of consumption
- Future directions: embodiment, mobilities, aesthetics and digital media
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Presentation||10 minute oral presentation 500 words||25||N||Group|
|Intra-session Exam||2 hours||30||N||Individual|
Parramatta - Victoria Rd
Subject Contact Felicity Picken Opens in new window