MATH 0029 Statistics for Academic Purposes (WSTC)
Credit Points 5
Legacy Code 900011
Coordinator Michael CASEY Opens in new window
Description Understanding, creating and working with statistics are fundamental skill requirements in many areas and career pathways within the arts, business, science and the humanities disciplines. This unit will provide students with a comprehensive overview of statistics in order to prepare them for success in first year university units of study where they will further develop their skills. Through both individual and group tasks students will use statistics to organize and display data as well as draw valid inferences, based on data, by using appropriate statistical tools.
School Western Sydney The College
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 1 5cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 0 Preparatory subject
Equivalent Subjects MATH 0028 Statistics for Academic Purposes (WSTC Prep)
Restrictions Students must be enrolled in a Western Sydney University The College Foundation Studies program.
Year 10 Mathematics or equivalent.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the statistical terminology and use the correct notation.
- Collect, organise and display data.
- Calculate descriptive characteristics and describe data sets.
- Calculate and describe the relationship between two variables and use simple linear regression to predict or estimate values.
- Calculate probabilities.
- Apply appropriate statistical methods to analyse data and make inferences.
- Use computer software to display and analyse data.
2. Organising and displaying data.
3. Measures of central tendency, variation, and spread.
4. Correlation and simple linear regression.
6. Binomial distribution.
7. Normal distribution.
8. Sampling distribution.
10. Hypothesis testing.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Class Test 1||1 hour||20||N||Individual|
|Report: Part A||10||N||Individual|
|Report: Part B||25||N||Individual|
|Report: Part C||5||N||Individual|
|End of session Test||2 hours||40||N||Individual|
- Brase, C, Brase, C 2018, Understanding Basic Statistics, 7th edn, Brooks/Cole, Cengage learning, Boston