RADI 7003 Practice of Cardiac Sonography 2
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 401190
Coordinator Paul Stoodley Opens in new window
Description This subject will build on the knowledge and skills developed in Practice of Cardiac Sonography 1. Students will learn to perform a more extensive echocardiographic examination as they study measuring left ventricular systolic and diastolic function, and are introduced to assessing valvular function. Image interpretation, report writing, and essential aspects of professional practice will also be included in this subject.
Student Contribution Band
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Pre-requisite(s) RADI 7002
Co-requisite(s) RADI 7007
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Apply imaging protocols in the practice of cardiac sonography
- Accurately measure anatomical dimensions and physiological parameters
- Use the ultrasound data to assess cardiac structure and function
- Draw conclusions based on the images and measurements, and write a report
- Demonstrate essential features of safe practice and patient care
1. Image acquisition and measurement
3. Professional practice and development
Work integrated learning
Each student will have an accredited cardiac sonographer as a clinical supervisor at their training site. The clinical supervisor will be provided with numerous means of support by WSU, including:
- An email at the commencement of the program from the program coordinator to verify support for the student and to ensure the supervisor that they can contact the coordinator at any time.
- Information about subject content each semester via email: 1. Learning Objectives - sent at the start of the semester, and 2. Practical assessment details - sent at the mid-point of the semester.
- A Zoom meeting in week 3 of the first semester where clinical supervisor recommendations are given (along with the opportunity for Q and A).
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Case Study||2 cases||25||N||Individual|
|Practical Exam||1.5 hours||50||Y||Individual|
|Intra-session Exam||75 minutes||25||N||Individual|
|Log/Workbook||300 cases + Quality and Reflective Activities||S/U||Y||Individual|
Subject Contact Paul Stoodley Opens in new window