BUSM 7094 The Contemporary Business Environment
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 200820
Coordinator Maria Varua Opens in new window
Description This unit provides foundational knowledge that is needed to appreciate the complexities involved in managing businesses in an uncertain and complex global setting. Emphasis is placed on the influence of the economic, socio-cultural, political, and technological environments on a business and the need for businesses to adopt a global perspective in formulating and implementing strategic interventions for enhancing competitiveness.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Equivalent Subjects BUSM 7093 - The Business Environment
- Identify the economic, socio-cultural, political, and technological environments within which contemporary businesses operate;
- Discuss critical issues that influence the effective operation of a business in a global business environment;
- Interpret, from a strategic perspective, the implications of business decision making across all key areas of business activity;
- Analyse the commercial importance and relevance of corporate sustainability and social responsibility in business decision making.
2. Interactions between the multiple environments of business and the major functional areas of business
3. Implications of the multiple environments of business for business ownership, management roles, production systems, employees, marketing, customer communication and financial management
4. The global business environment, strategic approaches to international markets, business ethics and corporate social responsibility
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Case assessment – written essay/report||1,500 words||30||N||Group|
|Individual presentation (based on a topic of contemporary business relevance)||Oral presentation 5 minutes||20||N||Individual|
|Final examination||2 hours||50||Y||Individual|
- Brooks, A, Weatherston, J & Wilkinson, G 2011, The international business environment, Pearson Education. Frenchs Forest.