TOUR 3002 Cultural Tourism and Events
Credit Points 10
Coordinator Michelle Whitmore Opens in new window
Description This subject examines the relationship between culture, heritage, tourism and events. It firstly provides an introduction to contemporary issues in heritage, tourism and event management. Secondly, it investigates the phenomenon of cultural tourism – its nature (including places and events), the market, visitors, the issues in planning and management – in the context of heritage and sustainable tourism praxis in Australia (and globally) as well as in the context of local communities.
School Social Sciences
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Equivalent Subjects CULT 3015 - Heritage and Tourism
- Explain and examine the principles and issues of culture and heritage in relation to tourism and events planning and management practices in Australia, with particular reference to sustainability
- Analyse the complexities of cultural tourism including its nature, the market, visitor characteristics and motivations, the planning dimensions, attraction types, events and the issues surrounding these (especially politics in government policies, guidelines and regulations)
- Apply contemporary heritage and cultural tourism theory and practice to propose solutions to key ‘real world’ Issues of cultural tourism and events management
- Culture and heritage: key concepts
- Key management processes
- Key tourism and events components
- Key Issues of cultural tourism and events management
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Poster||Visual poster and 500 word written summary||30||N||Individual|
|Presentation||10 minute presentation and 1500 word written summary||30||N||Group|
|Short Answer||3 hours, 1000 words||40||N||Individual|
Parramatta - Victoria Rd
Subject Contact Michelle Whitmore Opens in new window