ELEC 3010 Renewable Energy Systems Design
Credit Points 10
Description This unit prepares engineering students to be conversant with renewable energy systems. Students will learn to appraise environmental, social, legal, economic and political issues concerning renewable energy systems. Students will also learn relevant design skills related to renewable energy systems.
School Eng, Design & Built Env
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Equivalent Subjects ELEC 4006 Sustainable Energy Systems
- Analyse the technical aspects of renewable energy systems.
- Design renewable energy systems for a given set of conditions.
- Assess the social, legal, policy, political economic and environmental issues associated with renewable energy systems.
- Demonstrate communication and collaboration skills in working with others in an ethical and respectful manner to produce professional analyses and reports
2. Heat transfer/solar radiation
3. Solar photovoltaics
4. Wind energy
7. Wave energy and tidal power
8. Geothermal energy
9. Nuclear energy
10. Environmental impact of renewable energies
11. Economic issues
12. Political, social, policy and legal issues
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Online quizzes||1 hour per quiz (open book)||20||N||Individual|
|Project Report||3000 words||30||N||Group|
|Final exam||2 hours||50||N||Individual|
- Peake, S & Open University (eds) 2012, Renewable energy : power for a sustainable future, 4th edn, Oxford University Press, Oxford.