LANG 3079 Spanish 306: Contemporary History
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 100156
Coordinator Ignacio Garcia Opens in new window
Description This unit aims to introduce students to the history of Spain and Latin America in the Twentieth century to enable them to understand the historical background to present-day events, and to identify the major contemporary policy issues in these regions of the world.
School Humanities & Comm Arts
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 1 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
- Students will:
- gain an understanding on some of the main events which shaped the character of the Hispanic word in the 20th Century;
- gain an understanding of the basic economic, political, and cultural infrastructures of the Hispanic world and how they interact.;
- learn to distinguish the regional differences within the Hispanic world;
- develop critical thinking skills relevant to the multidisciplinary nature of the subject;
- acquire the vocabulary necessary to be able to discuss and write about the historical and cultural context.
A detailed study of some events which had a major impact: the Spanish American War, the Spanish Civil War, the Cuban Revolution, the Latin American military regimes.
A study of the end of the Cold War period and its impact in Central America and in the rest of the Hispanic world.
An examination of major present day policy issues in Spain and Latin America.