DESN 2006 Graphic Design: The Professional Context
Credit Points 20
Legacy Code 102270
Coordinator Leo Robba Opens in new window
Description In this unit, students begin to situate their graphic design practice within a contemporary professional context. Designers today need to collaborate with colleagues or other professionals, and the majority of graphic design briefs require solutions that converge across a variety of media platforms and two, three or four dimensions. Students will undertake projects that extend their design thinking in these areas. Part of the unit requires students to work as part of a team, to develop content and a solution that engages the audience through a range of different media. Throughout this unit, students continue to extend their visual language, and associated material and digital skills.
School Humanities & Comm Arts
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 20cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 2 subject
Pre-requisite(s) DESN 1007
120 credit points in 1571 Bachelor of Design (Visual Communication) or equivalent.
- Use a range of communication skills that facilitate working collaboratively in design teams.
- Devise and apply effective workflow strategies as an individual and as part of a team.
- Evaluate a range of digital and material methods in relation to the execution of ideas and differentiate between the appropriateness of such methods in the development of a designed solution.
- Use appropriate digital and material processes in response to the design brief, client and audience.
- Employ a conceptual approach to the development of design ideas and apply this thinking into three dimensional form and multi-platform scenarios.
- Three dimensional form and design
- Materiality and experience
- sustainability and environmental considerations
- design management
- cross-platform publishing
- The design of complex multi-page material
- Typography, layout and Image design
- Proofing, prototyping and production
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Multi-platform publishing project||1000 words 10 minutes||60||N||Both (Individual & Group)|
|Packaging design project||3 process milestones plus final design solution||40||N||Individual|
2022 Semester 2
Parramatta - Victoria Rd
Subject Contact Michelle Catanzaro Opens in new window
Attendance Requirements 80% attendance rate is imposed in all core subjects’ due to the nature of class activities that are aligned with subject assessments.