CIVL 7009 Advanced Water Engineering
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 300595
Coordinator Surendra Shrestha Opens in new window
Description This unit introduces advanced principles of engineering hydrology as it pertains to the surface water component of the hydrologic cycle. Students are exposed to floodplain analysis techniques. The focus is on practical engineering solutions to issues originating from catchment development. Students are exposed to commonly used hydraulic and hydrologic software packages to delineate flooded areas resulting from such developments.
School Eng, Design & Built Env
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Incompatible Subjects CIVL 4007 Hydrology EART 4001 Surface Water Hydrology
Restrictions This is a specialised subject in a specialist discipline in Master of Engineering program. Students must be enrolled in a postgraduate engineering program undertaking a Civil Engineering major or in the Master of Research.
Exposure to basic hydraulics and engineering hydrologic principles.
- Simulate catchment response using hydrologic principles
- Verify catchment response using commonly used hydraulic and hydrologic software packages
- Design on-site detention structures to meet regulatory requirements
- Identify areas flooded from storms of specified frequencies and durations
- Communicate effectively with peers and wider professional communities
2. Rainfall-runoff relationships
3. On-site detention systems
4. Commonly used hydraulic & hydrologic software packages
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Project Report - Individual Technical Report||2500 words (plus appendices) (est.)||85||N||Individual|
|Oral Presentation - Individual PowerPoint Presentation||30 minute oral presentation||15||N||Individual|
2022 Semester 1
Parramatta City - Macquarie St
Subject Contact Qinghua Zeng Opens in new window
Attendance Requirements 80% attendance rate is imposed in all core subjects’ due to the nature of class activities that are aligned with subject assessments.